Ask successful online marketers what their most valuable tool is for finding buyers online and they will likely say it's their email list. Even in this age of privacy concerns, getting people to give you their emails is not as difficult as you might think.
The statistics on email marketing are staggering. Some of them include
- 70 percent of people report that they always open the emails sent from their favorite companies, with 95 percent of those finding them useful to some degree.
- Email marketing yields 3 times the conversion rates of social media and has a 17 percent higher conversion value.
- In the U.S. alone, email marketing can yield up to a 4,300 percent return on investment.
- The average return for every $1 invested in email marketing is $44.25.
Building Your Email List
To get people to give up their email addresses, they will expect something of value in return. A few of the best enticements include
- Newsletters - Free newsletters are one of the top ways to build an email list, and one of the best conduits for this is a frequently updated website or blog where you can ask readers to sign up for the newsletter to receive more content. In between newsletters, sending special offers and sales flyers can lead to increased sales.
- Giveaways - Everybody loves free stuff, which is why successful online marketers use giveaways to harvest customer information. The freebie can be a digital product that only requires their email, or a physical product that requires a name and mailing address as well. Free online seminars and podcasts are popular and can add hundreds or even thousands of email addresses to your list.
- Site Subscriptions - Subscriptions are a useful email gathering tool for niche affiliate blogs with frequently updated content. Examples of blog topics where readers will be interested in keeping up on the latest information are celebrities, beauty and fashion, tech and couponing.
- Instant Discounts - For a product site, offering a discount on your first order is an excellent way to build your email list. It's hard for new visitors to decide to buy from an unknown site, but a healthy percentage off of the first order for subscribers only can help entice newcomers to sign up and buy. For example, you can offer a 20% off discount on all first orders, or you can qualify it, such as offering a discount on all orders over a certain dollar amount. Free shipping is another nice perk for new customers, especially when combined with a discount on their first order.
Internet marketing is complex, but it is one of the most profitable ways to make money online. An excellent targeted email list is essential for you to realize the profits you seek. If you feel lost and confused by all the jargon, look into hiring a firm that can help you get started on your way to online marketing success.